Friday, July 04, 2008
Today is a lazy, rainy day here in Central Ohio. I am winding up a week's vacation, which I have really enjoyed. I always take this week off every year, with the intention of having no specific commitments so that I can just do what I want. It's been a good week, so far. I began my vacation by running some errands, having the oil changed in my car, visiting our local jewelry store, which closed it's business on June 30, after being open since 1961. That's the sad thing about small towns, you lose all the great little businesses that you had while growing up. I visited Hunt's Jewelry on Friday to have a new battery put in my watch, and to see what deals there were in the store. I bought a sterling silver bracelet, and also 2 beautiful sterling silver rope chains at a very good price. They will be nice mementos of Hunt's Jewelry - and great pieces to add to my jewelry box and items that I will wear a lot. I spent Friday afternoon in my bedroom - pulled out my sewing machine that I have not used in ages. I repaired my pillow shams and a pair of capri pants, then I pulled out my brother Rick's NIKE sweathshirt that he brought to me a LONG time ago - it needed a zipper replaced. I have not done a zipper since my 4-H days, about 35 freaking years ago. I am proud to say, I was able to get the zipper in and the sweatshirt is wearable once again. On Saturday, I took off for Dayton and went to the 14 hour flip flop crop at Cord Camera. I went solo to this, but figured that there would be friendly people around me to chat with, and there were. It was a great crop, got lots done, and they fed us well both for lunch and dinner. It was 1 am by the time I rolled in the garage and I was tired! On Sunday, I went over to the Madison House and spent time with Grandma - she's doing so much better since we moved her there. I hit the tanning bed and got some Chinese to bring home for a mid-afternoon late lunch. Had my annual doctor's check up on Monday - everything went well and I am lighter this year than last, which is a wonderful thing. Only thing that ticked me off - the nurse wanted to measure my height - I told her I was 5'8" - so she measures me and tells me I am 5'7.5". I surely am not shrinking yet. I am going to remeasure. Hell, I'd love to be 7' - that'd be one way to get slim! LOL On Tuesday, I took mom and went to Urbana to see Grandma Mary, who just turned 94 last week. We went up to West Liberty and had a nice lunch in a little tearoom called the Cream & Sugar Cafe, then checked out some of the cute local shops. I did buy a beautiful country picture, which I plan to hang in my bedroom. We went back to Mary's and visited, then headed home. I took off then to go see Shane's baseball game. This was their first district playoff game and they got beat. I forget the score already. This team he's on is 15-16 year olds. It's composed mostly of boys who were on the HS reserve team, plus Shane and a couple others who played varsity last spring. Nice group of kids. On Wednesday, I met with our family attorney to get some things clarified about how I handle Grandma's investments, etc., to pay for her stay in the Madison House. Then I spent the afternoon at the city pool. Took off then at 6 for Shane's baseball. He pitched and did pretty well. However, the kids lost the game by one run. It got very interesting in the end. My friend Sheila came out to see Shane, and then she and I went to Los Mariochies to celebrate her birthday - she hits the big 5-0 today, on the 4th of July! We split a pitcher of margaritas - which filled about 4 glasses each for us. I was feeling no pain when I walked out of the restaurant. Yesterday, I piddled around, then took off for Columbus and did a little shopping - had to use my 50% coupon at Mike's, of course, and then hit JC Penney's salon to get some hair products that were on sale, plus I had a $10 coupon to save more money with. I am well stocked for the coming months! Went to the airport and picked up Carol, who flew in from Orlando to check up on her family. Her mom is 81 now and ailing a bit. I went over to their house late in the evening to watch fireworks. London puts on good fireworks for a little town. However, the air was heavy and the clouds hung low and partially blocked our view, so it was a little disappointing. We've had a lot of rain lately and it's been unusally cool. Well, I think I will get some ironing done and maybe work on some picture-sorting later today for my scrapbooking.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Hey there, good to see you again. Thanks for posting on the blog and glad you liked the album. Keep in touch please!
Jill, I live in a small town too and I love it! I pretend I am Jessica Fletcher biking all around town! lol
The material is from a bolt in a fabric store. Be sure to back it with a double adhesive stiffener.
Post a Comment